By Theodore R. Weeks
- Provides a coherent evaluate of Russia's improvement from 1861 via to 1945
- Reflects the newest scholarship by means of taking a thematic method of Russian heritage and bridging the ‘revolutionary divide’ of 1917
- Covers political, monetary, cultural, and daily life concerns in the course of a interval of significant alterations in Russian history
- Addresses through the variety of nationwide teams, cultures, and religions within the Russian Empire and USSR
- Shows how the novel rules followed after 1917 either replaced Russia and perpetuated an financial and political tension that keeps to steer sleek society
Read or Download Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia) PDF
Best russian history books
A special comparative account of the roots of Communist revolution in Russia and China. Steve Smith examines the altering social identities of peasants who settled in St Petersburg from the Eighteen Eighties to 1917 and in Shanghai from the 1900s to the Forties. Russia and China, although very assorted societies, have been either dynastic empires with backward agrarian economies that without notice skilled the effect of capitalist modernity.
Shortlisted for the Douglas Stewart prize for non fiction and the neighborhood family fee Award in NS W and the Age Non-Fiction ebook of the 12 months. I left too early, sooner than tanks rolled into Moscow in 1991, and ahead of Gorbachev was once placed below domestic arrest in a failed coup. I left ahead of Russia and Ukraine turned separate nations, earlier than the KGB files have been opened, sooner than the Russian model of Wheel of Fortune, ahead of the observe 'Gulag' seemed in textbooks.
Why has social peace been preserved in a few new, nationalizing nations in japanese Europe and damaged down in others? whereas civil peace has reigned in Estonia, Moldova skilled a bloody civil battle in 1992, claiming greater than 1000 casualties. those states in query proportion a couple of universal features, yet there's one very important distinction.
Russia given that 1980 recounts the epochal political, financial, and social alterations that destroyed the Soviet Union, ushering in a difficult new order. 20 years after Mikhail Gorbachev initiated regime-wrecking radical reforms, Russia has reemerged as a superpower. It has survived a hyperdepression, modernized, restored deepest estate and enterprise, followed a liberal democratic personality, and asserted claims to international management.
- Russia in the Twentieth Century: The quest for stability
- Russia and the Long Transition from Capitalism to Socialism
- The Anti-Imperial Choice: The Making of the Ukrainian Jew
- Russian Politics and Presidential Power: Transformational Leadership from Gorbachev to Putin
- How to Tame a Fox (and Build a Dog): Visionary Scientists and a Siberian Tale of Jump-Started Evolution
- Everyday Law in Russia
Additional resources for Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia)
Across the Revolutionary Divide: Russia and the USSR, 1861-1945 (Blackwell History of Russia) by Theodore R. Weeks